This week’s small group discussion questions are a joint effort between Ethan and myself (John), and they are looking both back at the last two Sundays and forward to the next two Sundays.
- I (John) suggested on Sunday that Hebrews is about Jesus Christ, and the message of Hebrews to us is to endure and hold fast in our faith in him. Do you agree with that conclusion? How does knowing about Jesus help us to endure and hold fast?
- Do you think it matters whether or not we know who Hebrews was originally written to? Why or why not?
- What are some practical implications of all the “let us” statements found throughout Hebrews?
- What is the primary idea established in Hebrews chapter 1?
- What does it mean in chapter 1 verse 3 when it states that Jesus upholds the universe by “the word of his power?”
- In Hebrews chapter 1 we see several passages quoted from the Old Testament, used to describe how God the Father speaks of Jesus. What specific truth about Jesus is the author of Hebrews driving at by quoting these passages?
- At the end of chapter 1 the rhetorical question is asked regarding angels: “Are they not all ministering spirits sent out to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?” In what ways does Scripture tell us ministering spirits serve those who have inherited salvation?